Youth Ministry: The Challenging Awesome

               So let me start from the beginning. About 2 months ago I was asked if I would help lead worship for the VBS that my church was planning on doing for a church in Warm Springs as a mission trip for the youth. Having no idea what I was in for I agreed to.
So God does amazing things when His people need Him. The trip was moving forward full speed ahead with preparations and getting ready; we were ready to leave. This whole time all that I can really muster is the thought that "God does amazing things for people who simply respond out of obedience to His moving them" cuz in my heart I really wasn't very stoked on going, not because of the kids but cuz it sounded like work and I felt like I was just going on an annual trip that was just there. Then 36 hours before we were scheduled to take off the phone rang and Warm Springs got cancelled. I got excited for sure cuz when God slams a door it means that something better is coming and for the first time I was pumped. From that point on we had no choice but to rely on God for every move we made. Jesus showed me through all this my place in His family, my hand in helping tend the flock, the structure and settings I flourish in and how deeply I love my kids at the youth group. Long story short, taking a simple step to say "I will go where you lead me Daddy" will turn back to you in spades of blessings.
                There were so many challenges, teen drama stuff, kids not getting along, and all the challenges that come with 29 kids staying on a hardwood floor in a smelly gymnasium. But along with the hard came so much good. Kids were having breakthroughs into the grace of Jesus. One in particular finally surrendered the thing that was confusing and hurting him the most and at the end of the trip he let us know what he had let go and how much he knew that God really does have a plan and care for us. Jesus was with us. Jesus was guiding. Jesus was shaping us. And He is in your life too. You don't have to go on a mission trip and sleep in a stinky room to experience God's love for you, you can do that right now in what He has done for you. But sleeping in a stinky room with people who love you is a great way to experience it too ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment